Rope & Belt Therapy – Joint Pain Relief
Rope & Belt Therapy is a therapeutic form of Yoga that is extremely helpful in Joint pain relief and is even used for relieving severe Joint Pain.
Conception of the Rope and Belt therapy
Use of props like ropes, belts, bolster, pillows, bricks, blankets, vipreetdandasana bench, tressler etc was started by Guruji BKS Iyengar, to work of body alignment and to achieve the maximum from a yogasana. Asanas done with the help of Rope Therapy are far more balanced, optimally aligned, can have better rib cage opening and better spinal rotation that could be very difficult to achieve without Rope yoga.
Later, his Disciple Dr. SV Karandikar gave a medical angle to the usage of these props. Having Medical background and deep understanding of Anatomy & Physiology, he enhanced the usage of yoga props to treat musculoskeletal disorders with the help of Rope & Belt therapy.
Major Joints problems, commonly found
Rope therapy approach has tremendous benefits for patients having severe degree of:
- Osteo Arthritis of Knee (Knee pain)
- Lumbar Spondylitis, Sciatica pain
- Cervical Spondylitis (Neck pain / shoulder pain)
Therapy works on Alignment correction , Traction & Distraction at Joints
How Rope & Belt therapy works?
Rope & Belt therapy involves extensive use of props. The main props are the therapeutic belts and ropes. Therapeutic belts are so designed having different lengths, different type of buckle attachments, and different stitching styles to accommodated the required loops for certain postures. Some of the belts are as long as 180inch or as short as 36 inch. Similarly the therapeutic ropes also have different lenths. Some of them are as long as 4 meters also or as short as 1.5 meters. During Rope therapy, these therapeutic Ropes & pain relief Belts are used in a specific manner, with acute anatomical precision, to correct the alignment around the anatomical axis.
Rope & belt yoga works by giving traction to joints and extended holding time in asanas to increase the length of the muscle / increase flexibility. Incorrect alignment put pressure on the joint at the point where the effect could be damaging in long term. Hence, as we correct the body alignment, it automatically reduces pressure on the joints, a breather for its revival!
Similarly, traction works of elongation and extension of joint at a target point. It also helps is medial & lateral rotation of the joint, wherever required. Rope & belt therapy also provides support to the joint during the day as the belts can be easily be worn/tied for up to 3 to 4 hrs during the day.
Target benefits of Rope & Belt Therapy
- Pain relief – As the therapy progresses, joint pain starts reducing and the need for taking pain killers is also reduced
- Correct body alignment – Therapy aims at correcting the postural alignment which is important to maintain the effect of treatment. Incorrect alignment might zero-out the effect of any treatment.
- Relief from muscle stiffness – Since the postures are held for a longer duration, with the help of props, muscles start gain length. As a result, muscles also become supple and flexible.
- Improvement in Range of Motion (ROM) – As the pain is reduced and muscles regain their flexibility, range of motion at the target joint improves gradually. This gives confidence to the patient in doing day to day activities like walking, climbing stairs, gardening, cycling etc.
- Better quality of life – Life feels good and effortless with a healthy, pain-free body. As the patient gains confidence in doing his day to day activities better, their hope towards enjoying life comes back. They feel like doing many extra-curricular activities that they would have been avoiding. Even a little improvement boosts their morale and brings positivity.
Procedure to start Rope & Belt therapy with Innersaga
Stage 1: Consultation
Every client approaching us, must go through the consultation session which is an assessment of this physical condition. He may be advised to get his X-ray / MRI/ Blood reports done to enable us to understand the problem better.
Step 2: Therapy
After clinical investigation and taking his history, the therapeutic approach is advised, whether it will be a Medical yoga approach or specifically a Rope & Belt therapy. Normally, Rope & Belt treatment is advised for minimum 2 weeks and it can last up to 3 months (example: in case of 3rd grade Osteo Arthritis of Knee, min. 3 months period is required to bring the desired impact)
This therapy is totally non-invasive. It is a modification of Ashtanga yoga asanas to enable the patients to get maximum benefit despite their physical condition. Along with Rope & belt treatment, patients do experience sessions of Pranayama and meditation to bring a holistic effect.
Don’t choose to suffer from pain, rather choose to give yourself a chance and fetch health for yourself!
5 days – Knee Pain management
-Suitable for Knee pain / Initial OA of knee
– Helps in effective management of Knee pain
– Helps in understanding daily routine precautions
– Helps is increasing strength and flexibility of the joint
– Focus on making the patient independent in their practice
– Self practice can be done at home
– Pack of 5 classes, 1hr each
– Review after 3 weeks of self-practice
– On-call support available