Rope & Belt Therapy – Yoga
Rope & Belt therapy is a part of Medical Yoga and is used for relief in severe Joint Pains.
Conception of the therapy
Use of props in Yoga was started by Guruji BKS Iyengar. His Disciple Dr. SV Karandikar gave a medical angle to the usage of these props. Having a Medical background and deep understanding of Anatomy & Physiology, he enhanced the usage of props to treat musculoskeletal disorders with the help of Rope & Belt therapy.
Major Joints problems, commonly found
This approach has tremendous benefits for patients having severe degree of:
- Osteo Arthritis of Knee
- Lumbar Spondylosis, Sciatica pain
- Cervical Spondylosis
How it works?
Therapy works on Alignment correction , Traction & Distraction at Joints
Ropes & Belts are used in a specific manner, with acute anatomical precision, to correct the alignment around anatomical axis. It also works as giving traction to joints and extended stay time in asanas to increase length of the muscle / increase flexibility. Incorrect alignment put pressure on the joint at the point where the effect could be damaging in long term. Hence, as we correct the body alignment, it automatically reduces pressure on the joints, a breather for its revival!
Similarly, traction works of elongation and extension of joint at a target point. It also helps is medial & lateral rotation of the joint, wherever required. Rope & belt therapy also provides support to the joint during the day as the belts can be easily worn/tied for up to 3 to 4 hrs during the day.
Target benefits of Rope & Belt Therapy
- Pain relief – As the therapy progresses, joint pain starts reducing and the need for taking pain killers is also reduced
- Correct body alignment – Therapy aims at correcting the postural alignment which is important to maintain the effect of treatment. Incorrect alignment might zero-out the effect of any treatment.
- Relief from muscle stiffness – Since the postures are held for a longer duration, with the help of props, muscles start gain length. As a result, muscles also become supple and flexible.
- Improvement in Range of Motion (ROM) – As the pain is reduced and muscles regain their flexibility, range of motion at the target joint improves gradually. This gives confidence to the patient in doing day to day activities like walking, climbing stairs, gardening, cycling etc.
- Better quality of life – Life feels good and effortless with a healthy, pain-free body. As the patient gains confidence in doing his day to day activities better, their hope towards enjoying life comes back. They feel like doing many extra-curricular activities that they would have been avoiding. Even a little improvement boosts their morale and brings positivity.
Procedure to start Rope & Belt therapy
Consultation – Every client approaching us, must go through the consultation session which is an assessment of this physical condition. He may be advised to get his X-ray / MRI/ Blood reports done to enable us to understand the problem better.
Therapy – After clinical investigation and taking his history, the therapeutic approach is advised, whether it will be a Medical yoga approach or specifically a Rope & Belt therapy. Normally, Rope & Belt treatment is advised for minimum 2 weeks and it can last up to 3 months (example: in case of 3rd grade Osteo Arthritis of Knee, min. 3 months period is required to bring the desired impact)
This therapy is totally non-invasive. It is a modification of Ashtanga yoga asanas to enable the patients to get maximum benefit despite their physical condition. Along with Rope & belt treatment, patients do experience sessions of Pranayama and meditation to bring a holistic effect.
Don’t choose to suffer from pain, rather choose to give yourself a chance and fetch health for yourself!